Following items must be considered before applying the procedure in production environment:
- It is extremely important and highly recommended that you test the domain rename procedure 2 to 3 times prior to performing it in a production environment. First, perform the domain rename procedure described in this document in a test environment that has a minimum of two domains and few client machines.
- You must ensure that you have a functioning and current backup of your Active Directory infrastructure and you have tested the recovery plan in mind if domain domain rename fail.
- Microsoft cannot guarantee that any third-party software that is installed will function after changing the domain name. You should test and work with third-party application to ensure you understand how product will react to domain name change.
- A domain rename will work just fine IF you know what you are doing. We have renamed test domain (2 DC's, Trust, child domain and 2 member servers). Please note this is a group project that may require a month with testing, testing and testing.
1) Farhan's Guide for Domain Rename
2) Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing Domain Rename
3) Implementing an Active Directory Domain Rename Operation
Note: If you encounter any problem in downloading the attachments kindly leave comment.
Hope this helps!